Light rail (G:link)
The Gold Coast light rail network (also known as the G:link) travels between Helensvale and Broadbeach South and has 19 stations.
During GC2018 tram services will:
- continue to cater for community, commuter and visitor travel.
- provide direct access to arts and cultural activities at Broadbeach and Surfers Paradise.
- provide spectator and workforce transport to transport hubs.
- support spectator and workforce transport to Southport, Broadbeach and Labrador competition venues.
GC2018 timetable changes
As the largest sporting event Australia will see this decade, and with more than a million tickets sold, trams will operate a 24 hour timetable for GC2018.
From 4 – 15 April, trams will run:
All services will operate between Helensvale and Broadbeach South stations during GC2018.
Extra Marathon services
For the Marathon event, trams will run every 15 minutes from 4am to 6am, and every 10 minutes from 6am to 7am.
Demand for tram services
While more frequent G:link services will operate during the Games, tram stations and services will be much busier than usual.
As every day will be different, we recommend using our interactive map planning tool to see when your journey could be affected by time of day, or location.
If you plan to travel by tram services during GC2018, we recommend you try to avoid non-essential journeys. If you must travel, please review our travel advice for tips on planning ahead.
We’re expecting tram services to be particularly busy during GC2018 for:
- Northbound services (to Helensvale station) between
- 12pm – 3pm
- 6pm - 10pm.
- Southbound services (to Broadbeach South station) between
- 1pm to 8pm.
Stations expected to be busier include:
- Broadbeach South station will be busy before and after Festival 2018 events, as well as when events are held at the Gold Coast Convention and Exhibition Centre, Robina stadium and Carrara venues.
- Cavill Avenue station will be busy both before and after Festival 2018 events.
- Southport station will be busy before and after events held at Optus Aquatic Centre and Broadwater Parklands.
- Griffith University station will be busy throughout the Games as Athletes and Workforce access the Commonwealth Games Village.
- Gold Coast University Hospital station will be busy before and after events at the Gold Coast Hockey Centre.
- Helensvale station will be busy throughout GC2018 as it provides an important interchange hub between train, tram and bus services.
If you need to travel by tram at times when the network is expected to be busy, then please allow additional travel time and expect services to be more crowded than usual.
As every day of the Games will be different, you will need to plan your public transport travel in advance using TransLink’s journey planner.
If you're heading to the Games, a dedicated GC2018 Journey Planner will be available soon.